Friday, July 6, 2018

Psalm 69 “David’s Plea For Deliverance”

"Save me, O God, for the waters have come up to my neck. I sink in the miry depths, where there is no foothold. I have come into the deep waters; the floods engulf me. I am worn out calling for help; my throat is parched. My eyes fail, looking for my God.” (vv.1-3)

Here in Psalm 69, David feels scorned, misunderstood, and overwhelmed by his enemies and circumstances. In this song, David calls for the Lord’s deliverance from the hands of his enemies, and for the justice of divine punishment upon his adversaries. 

His throat is parched and his vision fails as he waits for Jehovah’s deliverance. While the circumstances may appear desperate, nonetheless, he will wait for the Creator to respond to his needs. This is the lesson we all must learn:  to “Rest" in the Lord, and "wait patiently" for him (Psalm 37:7).

The Truth: "Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord.” (Psalm 27:14)